Friday, September 14, 2012

Edging nearer to publication day!

I've spent most of this week carefully going through the proofs of Silent Saturday, the first book in my upcoming Forbidden Spaces trilogy, set in Flanders. Proof reading is not my favourite job - it reminds me of flossing teeth: tedious, but it has to be done with meticulous care! It also reminds me somewhat of a corny joke I came across once in an old book: "What does your mother look for but hope she won't find? - A hole in your stocking." (Evidently it was a VERY old book - I can't imagine many mothers searching for holes to darn these days, myself included!) Proof reading means looking for mistakes you hope you won't find. I'm glad to say there weren't very many!
I'm absolutely dying to see bound proofs of the book.
Silent Saturday will be published in the UK in April 2013.
Meanwhile, I shall be getting back to work on the second book of the trilogy, The Demons of Ghent, which is, unsurprisingly, set in Ghent! I visited the city last December for research and brought back lots of interesting material including a charming booklet entitled Museum of Torture Instruments - Gravensteen. I'm intending to have the first draft done before Christmas - apart from anything else, there are some pretty horrible trials ahead of my heroine Veerle, and I shall enjoy Christmas with a clearer conscience if she is through them all by then!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for the new book - looks great. Nice cover art too.

    ReplyDelete