Monday, July 2, 2012

My favourite independent bookseller

It's Independent Booksellers' Week 2012 (see http://independentbooksellersweek.org.uk/ ) so I'd like to raise a glass to my very favourite independent bookshop, the inimitable Treasure Trove in Tervuren, Belgium. It may seem odd to pick a shop overseas but we lived near Tervuren from 2008 until 2011 and it was our "local" bookshop. Also, in spite of its location, Treasure Trove is an English language bookshop selling mainly children's and YA books.
It's also an amazing success story, thriving in a country where English is not the first language and the potential market is therefore smaller than it would be in the UK. They have achieved this through their energy and enthusiasm, organising regular events for their young customers including readings, craft activities and author visits. I have held two book events there myself and felt incredibly welcomed and supported. Treasure Trove, I think you're fab!


No comments:

Post a Comment